Food concerns.

If you are like me, food is a big thing. It is one of those things every other expat I have come across talks about, to no end. I was going to write a more flowery, fancy-pants post on food but frankly my days as of late have been a bit busy with other stuff. So instead, I am going to daisy-chain a bunch of photos taken from the weekend and this week. They all loosely (like the one below this sentence) revolve around getting food here in Sarajevo.  

Early morning market run!

Sarajevo really has a good variety of fresh vegetables and fruit (and mushrooms!) in its markets. Does it make me sad that my chances of seeing plantains, malanga, or yucca while here are slim to none? A little. But we're not going to starve, and I can still get black beans by mail. Sadly, this is the only photo I took at the local market because I needed my hands free to pick out the fruits and veggies we were buying and storing in our handy-dandy cart. Maybe next visit for the photos. In addition to the fruits and veggies found locally there are butchers ready to sell you all the beef, chicken and pork you want. The cuts might not be what you recognize, but we've been able to find sirloin, ribeye, veal (tons of veal), pork chops, pork shoulder...

Pork shoulder (with some extra)!

Pork chops, after trimming.

Unfortunately, on this trip we were unable to locate and purchase any pork bellies to make our own bacon, because bacon. What passes for bacon here in the stores is really not bacon. It is either prosciutto-like, or like what you would dice and add into other dishes. We ended up taking a bunch of fruit, some potatoes, and some meat home with us.

As I did not buy many vegetables on this trip, and we really did need vegetables, I ended up purchasing some later in the week, at (of all things) our Embassy Heath Unit's Health Fair. Among the vendors at the fair was a local delivery company, krompir.ba, which I didn't even know existed. Imagine my surprise to discover that they will actually deliver fresh veggies, fruits, cheese and meats to your home. And that you can order it online. They had some bags and boxes (like what you can expect to receive after placing an order on the site) for sale at the booth so I ended up buying one to take home.

That is about 7 kilos worth of produce, for 20KM/$11.48 USD. All of it organic. Don't know if I will use the online service, but it's good to know that I can if I need to. I also managed to get 700g of smoked goat cheese from them for 15KM/$8.68 USD. Pretty much a no brainer, take-my-money purchase to be honest since buying a wheel of cheese like this in the states would be considerably more than what I paid. 



The last purchase, also at the health fair but from a different vendor, was for a bottle of mint syrup also locally made and organic. The kids liked the samples of it that they tried (cut with water), and after trying it myself I figured it would probably be worth getting for the 10KM/$5.79 USD they were asking.


The only other thing I did not photograph (because I am lazy) is the bread we purchased from the french bakery, Maison Coco, downtown. Which is delicious, so if you find yourself in Sarajevo I highly recommend stopping by the bakery and buying some pastries or bread because it's pretty good.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modo dictu

Tutorial: Repairing the dust cover on your furniture or box spring bed.

Zen and the art of Drexel maintenance.