Creature comforts

As I have mentioned before, food is a pretty big concern for us, and for most people overseas and far from home. When I was younger, I loved sweets. Nowadays, I still like sweets, but overall I tend to gravitate more toward savory foods. In Germany, we were very lucky  (depending on how you look at it) to a) have a great bagel shop across the street from us and b) have a lot of Dunkin Donuts. 

Here in Sarajevo, aside from the oddball 'Italian doughnut' booth at a winter market, neither are present. So if you have a craving for one or the other, you really have only one option. DIY.
   
That was my day yesterday. The end result being we had donuts and bagels, and a house that smelled like a donut shop. 



  Today has not been that ambitious. It was, for the most part, an ugly grey rainy day where for a brief ten minutes we saw a ray of sun. And then it went away. I did end up making more bagels today (because, bagels), but not the donuts. 

Today's bagels!


  Because we still have a bunch of donuts, and I needed to pick up more shortening. Which is actually a thing you can buy here, and it is called biljni mrs. So if you bake, and you are going to be posted here, now you know the word for vegetable shortening. You're welcome!
P.S. It looks like this: 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Modo dictu

Tutorial: Repairing the dust cover on your furniture or box spring bed.

Zen and the art of Drexel maintenance.