Through the looking-glass.



 Time is a constant you grow acutely aware of as the years go by.

  Its passage feels more pronounced the longer you are out as an expat, or (for those who move away from their hometowns to later return) when you return home. It has been busy these last three months. I have been quieter more than I wanted to be, because of the relentless pace our life has taken since returning to Florida.

  As is our tradition, we had a welcome back/return party about a month after arrival. We invited everyone, and we had more people show than we expected. I don't know if it was because we are not staying 'just a month', like we would for home leave... if it was because of the current political climate, or if time had a hand in prompting people to show up. So it was with our party. There were a ton of people there, that I had not seen in some time.

It was the best hail to post I think we have ever had in our FSLife.

  I have been sending out actual, real, honest-to-goodness resumes for jobs. Never once before now have I actually been delighted to put together and send out resumes. But I guess that's what eight years away in the EFM job pool will do to a person. I have resolved to find a job that will be able to go with me (via telework) when we go to an onward assignment, because I really never want to be at the mercy of post for a job ever again. It might amuse you, dear reader, to know that some of them are actual federal jobs that pay a decent chunk of change and offer benefits comparable to what my spouse gets with State. So, with any luck, I may be gainfully employed sooner than later.

 The best thing that has happened since coming back has been the change in our children. For them (unlike us), Florida is a new post. Sure, they've been here for home leave, their grandmother is here, and Olivia has been here for Wyatt's birth. But they've never lived here for a year or more. So some of the same stresses that happen at a regular post are happening here.
 When they got to Florida, it was like they had this dark grey cloud over their heads. It has been a rough three months- but that cloud over their heads isn't there anymore. Sure, there are rough days still. But things are vastly improved at home and at school now.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tutorial: Repairing the dust cover on your furniture or box spring bed.

Modo dictu

Zen and the art of Drexel maintenance.